Age spots are similar to freckles, but they usually appear in people older than 50. These small areas of increased pigmentation are commonly seen on the face, upper chest, back, shoulders, and arms, as these areas tend to get more sun.
If you have age spots and they bother you, there are a few home remedies that can help reduce their appearance.
Note: Some age spots can look like melanoma, and vice versa. If you notice a suspicious spot which has different shades of brown or other colors and uneven edges, as well as changes in size and shape, have it checked by a dermatologist.
6 home remedies for age spots
Home remedies for age spots take time to work, but they are safe and quite effective in the long term, so they are worth a try!
1. Lemon juice
Citric acid found in lemons is an excellent natural lightening agent. Also, lemon juice contains plenty of vitamin C, which acts as an antioxidant. Here’s how to use lemon juice for age spots:
- squeeze the juice from one lemon;
- apply the juice on the age spots using a cotton ball (alternatively, you can simply rub lemon slices on the spots);
- leave it on for 10 to 15 minutes;
- rinse the juice off with lukewarm or cool water.
Don’t use this remedy if you have sensitive skin. Also, do a patch test on a small area of skin on your arm before applying the remedy for the first time to make sure you aren’t allergic.
Lycopene and vitamin C found in tomatoes can help lighten your age spots. Use tomatoes the following way:
- cut a tomato into slices and rub them on the age spots;
- leave the tomato juice on for 20 minutes;
- rinse it off with lukewarm water afterwards.
Since tomatoes may cause an allergic reaction, do a patch test first before applying them on your skin.
3. Castor oil
Antioxidants found in castor oil can help make the discolored areas on the skin lighter. Here’s how to use the oil:
- apply a thin layer of castor oil on the age spots;
- massage the affected areas for a couple of minutes;
- let the oil sit on your skin for a couple of hours, then rinse it off thoroughly.
4. Aloe vera
Click NEXT PAGE to read more about this story and don’t forget to SHARE with your Facebook friends.
Have you see that?
We like that posts.